Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Funeral

So staying home today meant I was interrupted by what I thought was a daytime Perahera, but was actually a funeral. A funeral for a monk. I decided, after viewing the scene from our balcony, that it would be inappropriate to go downstairs and take photos at eye level. Still, though totally visible, I felt it was o.k. to take photos from the balcony. Unfortunately, due to trees and electricity wires, not to mention distance, the photos are mostly crap. Since they tell a story, I'm keeping them.

Yesterday Aya and I had discussed the bright (there is no word to fully explain this color) orange tent and wondered of its purpose. I still don't know the purpose. The coffin was taken to an open tent and then many people spoke over loud speakers and frankly, I lost interest. I couldn't understand what they were saying, so watching them began to become boring. I meant to go see what happened at the end, but then I actually got lost in something work related, and before I knew it night had arrived and the funeral was over. Clearly I'm getting better at blocking out the loud speakers.

Good thing I like the color orange. It is very popular here.

Completely unrelated, this was just sent to my e-mail box -- another reason to be happy I live and work in boring Boralesgamuwa:

WARDEN MESSAGE

THE EMBASSY OF THE UNITED STATES IS TRANSMITTING THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION THROUGH THE EMBASSY WARDEN SYSTEM AS A PUBLIC SERVICE TO AMERICAN CITIZENS IN SRI LANKA. PLEASE DISSEMINATE THIS MESSAGE TO ALL U.S. CITIZENS YOU KNOW, WHO ARE NOT REGISTERED WITH THE EMBASSY.

Warden Message - 28 November 2007

Today at approximately 8:25am a female suicide bomber detonated a suicide vest inside the Ministry of Social Affairs in the immediate proximity of the office of Minister Douglas Devananda (EPDP), Isipatana Lane, Narahenpita in Colombo 05. In addition to the bomber, two other people were killed and at least three others were treated for minor wounds. Police and military personnel have cordoned off the area.

This is the first time the embassy has sent me a notice that I didn't already know what it said. Not sure if that is reassuring.

1 comment:

Rafael said...

That has to be the oddest color orange I have ever seen! The closest thing I have seen to that color were the candy peanuts I used to eat when I was a kid. Beutiful Pictures...Amazing!