Monday, November 12, 2007

News

This is the best news I've heard in a long time,

COLOMBO, Nov. 10 (Xinhua) -- Sri Lanka's Supreme Court on Friday issued an order banning the use of loudspeakers between 00:10 p.m. to 06:00 a.m. local time (1630 GMT to 0030 GMT) with immediate effect, the Daily News reported Saturday.

According to the newspaper, the court on Friday also ordered the cancellation of all the permits issued by the police to use loudspeakers.

However, permits could be issued for special religious functions or events after 00:10 p.m. local time ascertaining the views of the residents in the vicinity.

The court made these directions as interim orders until the new draft regulations with regard to the Community Noise Level Standards are approved by the parliament.

The police was asked to submit a report to court by Dec. 12 on the implementation of the new order on noise pollution.

Sri Lankan public have been complaining of the growing menace of noise pollution and have been urging the government for tight regulations.

Of course, for every bit of good news there is some bad. The government (which owns 80% of the land in Sri Lanka) has foolishly decided to try growing sugarcane again. They have done this in the past without success and sugarcane wreaks havoc on water and soil resources, yet, for some unexplained reason, they seem very keen. Sugar production is also generally associated with abject poverty, so it can't be for the money (though maybe the government is getting a nice kickback from the company managing the production). Anyway, you can read all about it here.

I had a nice weekend. As someone said last night, all social engagements right now are going-away parties. Saturday and Sunday everything I did with other people was to say goodbye. Very sad. At the end of this week I'll be all alone. O.k., some people are staying, so I'm exaggerating. I will be the last foreigner at Sewalanka. That isn't completely true either. I don't know why I don't count Aya as a "foreigner," which is crazy as she is more foreign than anyone since she has such huge communication problems. I don't count Amanda and Steve because they are never in the office and they have way better deals than I do with a car and an apartment in Colombo.

I did enter photos in the exhibition/competition this weekend. I created a set on Flickr of the photos I choose, so if you are interested you can check it out. I posted photos from Arugambay/Panama too.

No comments: