Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Another Weekend on Serendib

I don't know if I told you this, but the reason behind my desire to go to A'bay this past weekend was not just a selfish desire to spend a weekend at the beach. No, my friend (through Couchsurfing, seriously this thing is great!) Lindsay actually started a non-profit and ran a photography program for kids in this small town in the east that was terribly hard hit by the tsunami. I wanted to go east in the hopes of seeing their photography exhibition. Unfortunately, the town where all this exciting stuff happened is 40 km from A'bay and I'd have to take two buses over the course of three hours to get there. I know what you are thinking; you are wondering why I didn't just bike there. I did think about it (seriously, 40 km should take no more than an hour an a half on bike), but the only bikes available in A'bay are these terribly old and decrepit numbers and on the roads out there, well, I would have been beat. Oh, and I would have had to bike back in the dark, which is not advisable (people don't even like to drive after nightfall in the east).So I didn't go. But you can see the work at Lindsay's website: OpportunityArt. I give you permission to donate a little money if you like -- it really is a very good project and totally legitimate. I did get to see the photos of the kids at the exhibit and I've never seen so many happy faces here. It was really incredible.Other than the fact that I didn't get to go to the exhibit I did have a lovely weekend in A'bay. Surfing season is in full swing and there were many, many surfers around. Plus, for some odd cosmic reason, the water was fairly peaceful in some areas, so we could go swimming everyday.

No comments: